About Our School
Celebrating 130 years as a Catholic School
Sacred Heart School History
A parish convent and school were started in April 1886, and completed in March 1887. About 300 children were enrolled in the school. The school was located on School Street in Taftville, Connecticut at the time.
In 1908, one of the most disastrous fires that ever visited the village of Taftville wiped out the school and severely damaged the convent on School Street. The school was relocated on Hunters Avenue and a much larger brick building was built. The cornerstone of the parochial school was laid in 1909. A convent, conveniently located next door, was also built. By 1924, there were 630 students enrolled in the school with 13 teachers. Currently, there are 167 students attending Sacred Heart School, coming from over 18 towns.
The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church, continues to staff the school as they have since the inception of Sacred Heart School in 1888! The Sisters work with a dedicated group of lay teachers and support staff. Sacred Heart is a small Catholic school with a close-knit group of families active in its operation and success.
The fall of 2005 was an exciting time at Sacred Heart School with the groundbreaking of the Parish Life Center. After several delays and almost five years of fundraising, work on the auditorium/gymnasium began. The school and parish of Sacred Heart are proud of this addition and its versatile space has enabled the school to house its programs comfortably and open a successful Pre-K within the original building.
Sacred Heart School is currently in its 130th year of existence. The faculty and staff of Sacred Heart School continue to work with the students’ to promote academic excellence and spiritual development in the context of the teaching of the Catholic Church.